Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Stick-y benefits

A third time the Informed Reader (B13 today) strikes! This time it's quoting the Oct. 30 Slate about a relationship between cars and global warming. According to columnist Brendan I. Koerner, drivers of stick shifts help the environment by being more efficient RPM-wise--but only if they do it right. Unskilled users negate the benefits of efficient and timely shifting.

When I finally get a car, it'll be automatic transmission. So there! But I'll make up for it by getting a Civic or a Prius or some such small sedan.

2 comments:

sabrina said...

I can see you on a Vespa, they get great gas mileage- mostly because they can't go over 38 mph!

I believe that the difference in efficiency btwn. stick and auto. is probably on par with the ratio of pollution from cow or human farts.

forgive my vulgar reference, I'm sure it might offend your sensibilities, but it could also be correct.(!)
(please comment on THAT!)

Hannah said...

As long as I don't have to drive on highways! :D

Yes, the WSJ said that the difference is on the order of 1-2 more mpg.