- Compromise: shift in focus from Biblical doctrine to relationships, dialogue, and emotion. Some churches even ban the seeker-quenching word "sin." This etc. causes doctrinal corruption as a side effect. See 1 Cor. 1:18-25. Don't water down the Gospel.
- Solus Christus (Christ alone). Confessing and upholding this Christ means condemning such false Christs as the Psychotherapist, the Example (WWJD; pure law, really), the Giver of Health and Wealth, and the Lover (Luther's position: Mystical experience is just one more counterfeit "ladder to heaven"). The focus is off; therefore, these are false.
- Matt. 10:34-36. Expect antagonism to preaching the true, whole Word.
- Gal. 1:6-12. Judaizers added works to the Gospel; this led to impurity. Especially verse 10 condemns seeker-driven churches, for example.
- Jude 3-4. We are "to contend for the faith that was once for all [refuting the Roman Catholic position that doctrine continues to be revealed] delivered to the saints."
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Lessons from Issues 3: the contemporary evangelical compromise
We could use this to start a movement of WHJD ("What Has Jesus Done") bracelets, not WWJD...