Sunday, February 3, 2008

Book meme

I have been tagged by Cheryl, a friend and occasional reader (I hope!). She runs an excellent literary/homeschooling/Lutheran blog. The instructions:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

The nearest book (by about 2"--my computer desk is messy): The Holy Bible, NIV (small print, no less).

The text:
"'Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams, you may eat any that have fins and scales. But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales--whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water--you are to detest. And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat and you must detest their carcasses...'"
Two interesting things about it: it is from Leviticus 11:9-11 (mmm, clean and unclean food) and it still has excellent health value for us today (as is to be expected--God's word never stops its benefits). Now for the tags (you can post your results in the comments section if you like, if you deem a meme post too frivolous for your blog. It's fine either way): MK, No Compromise, Tammi, Ms. Green, and Angel.

9 February update: Panday (a.k.a. Stephen Renico) thought he had "dodged the bullet. :-)" Not anymore! Tagged him!

6 comments:

No Compromise said...

Amen to Kosher eating. God had it right and it hasn't changed to this very day.

Now I have on page 123 the fifth sentence down this quote:

"There was an enormous bipartisan consensus that the Depression required dictatorial and fascistic policies to defeat it. Walter Lipmann, serving as an ambassador for America's liberal elite, told FDR in a private meeting at Warm Springs, 'The situation is critical, Franklin. You may have no alternative but to assume dictatorial powers.'"

Drat! I wish I could do more! This quote if from Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg! A must read.

Anyhoo, plz visit my latest piece on Islam. It will interest you. I will tag five people tomorrow since this is such a great idea, but I just put up a new piece! Thanks for the tag!

Hannah said...

That's one scary quote! I'm hopping over to your blog right now...

No Compromise said...

Hey Hannah,
Thanks for posting that awesome comment. Man, they can't take criticism or being questioned at all can they?

Panday said...

Whew. Looks like I dodged the bullet. :-)

The fact that the book next to you is the Bible speaks volumes, by the way. God bless you.

Hannah said...

Well, Panday, I would've tagged you if you wanted! ;D Why not participate anyway?

Anonymous said...

I played this over here a while back. Because I have been a lazy blogger lately, scroll down for mine. :)

Sorry I'm so late getting over here!