- Revelation 13:8 and Titus 1:2-3 - This was no surprise, but ordained from the beginning! God brings His own plans to pass without contingencies.
- Old Testament promises:
- Humans are created unique.
- The curse was shunted from us to the ground.
- God took the initiative to elect Abraham.
- Redemption and reconciliation are in the Passover sacrifice.
- David would have an eternal (!) kingdom.
- Resisting God's call means to expect discipline from Him.
- Resurrection and restoration (Ezekiel 37:1-13)!
- New Testament promises:
- God (Christ) became man too (Jesus).
- When tempted, Christ triumphed, giving us strength.
- John 1:11-12 - He was and is rejected. . .but He blesses those who receive Him!
- God calls us to heed the transfigured Christ by faith.
- In the Crucifixion, our punishment was shunted onto Jesus Christ.
- Christ's bodily resurrection guarantees ours, for which we wait with repentance (complete) and forgiveness (total).
- He blessed while ascending and continues to bless today.
- Acts (church spreading the promise) and the Epistles (the Spirit giving the promise's fruits):
- Faith and repentance are to occur together, just as justification and sanctification cannot be confused nor separated.
- Other gifts: regeneration, union with Christ (reality!), adoption by the Father, glorification (life as a mirror of God's glory), and consummation (seeing God's face).
Monday, June 25, 2012
Gospel as Center: chapter 6
Simply titled "The Plan."