- The whole creation is purposed to show off God's glory, and humans to know God's glory through the evidences. "The earth is the center of God's purposes for the universe" (p. 68).
- Because we have sinned, however, we cannot innately know His glory, so "physical creation prepares us for saving faith" (p. 57, cf Psalm 22:9).
- The making and sustaining of all creation is in Christ! (Colossians 1:15-16; Hebrews 1:2)
- Naturalism/materialism both deny the purpose ordained by God (Romans 1:18).
- Beware of a "God of the gaps" - science shrinks this sort of god.
- Genesis 1:1-3 is foundational for everything in the Bible.
- Genesis 2 is an "inset map" of chapter 1.
- Genesis 1:26-27 - humans are made in God's image (i.e. having some of His traits and abilities, being stewards of creation). The one-man-one-woman marriage pattern produces child-blessings.
- Applications of creation:
- Reasons to worship God!
- Reminder of the marvelous fact of our moment-by-moment sustenance
- Evidence that God, the 100% Creator, also 100% saves us (2 Corinthians 4:6)
- Parents teach their children and others about God via what He made
- Students of science are to be worshipers of the Maker first and foremost
- Use creation to help comprehend the Bible ("consider the lilies. . .")
- Be refreshed in soul (nature walks)
- Live anticipating creation's renewal
Saturday, June 23, 2012
Gospel as Center: chapter 4
On the foundational topic of Creation.