- The Gospel causes revelation, and revelation causes the Gospel.
- The Gospel is God's planned purpose (intent) of redemption.
- Preaching the Bible performs this purpose (Romans 10:12-14).
- Convictions of our basis for reading:
- God-breathed - freedom from doubt and instability
- Understandable - we labor to study it because He reveals it to us.
- Useful - it works inasmuch as we believe and obey it.
- Effective - accomplishes every part of life and godliness.
- We are the ones judged by the Bible - no wiggling out from under this fact!
- Principles of interpretation:
- Christ is the subject of all Scripture (therefore Scripture interprets Scripture)
- The Holy Spirit guides us into understanding it (e.g. the road to Emmaus)
- Ways to read, shaking the tree of life for fruit*:
- "Along" - as historical narrative, the gospel storyline
- "Across" - as theology, Scripture interpreting Scripture.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Gospel as Center: chapter 3
The title of this chapter is "The Gospel and Scripture" (i.e. how to read the Bible in light of the centrality of the Gospel).