Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jeremiah session 10: chapters 30-33

Since the warm-up for the sermon today infringed upon my attending Bible class, a good friend took notes for me. Here they are:

  • Ch. 30. Anticipatory of Jesus' final return. Verses 8-17: promise of restoration, but judgment (to them and their captors). Verse 9: foreshadow of Christ. Verse 13: see Is. 53:5.
  • 31:1-9. Mention of Ephraim (v. 9); at this time, no northern kingdom - looking beyond exile to Christ. Verse 5 - reference to restoration, including Samaria. Israelites --> Samaritans + Jews. Jesus talks to Samaritan woman; Good Samaritan story. Acts 8 - Philip preaching the gospel in Samaria. Acts 1:9 - Samaria and ends of the earth. Jew --> Samaritan --> God fearers. Acts 13 - our (Gentiles') Pentecost.
  • 31:15. Foreshadowing Matthew 2:18 - Herod killing children.
  • 31:31-34. => Hebrews 8:8-12, 10:16-17 (longest section quoted in NT). Covenant - has to do with promise - God's part, none of ours, brought by the death of its Maker (Christ). Lord/husband - same word - baal - "torah" on their hearts - whole word - law + gospel. Heb. 10:16 - Holy Spirit says "I will make covenant." Christ fulfills covenant. Father makes covenant in Jeremiah. Jer. 33:17 - no lack of King or Priest => Jesus.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Off topic: how come you're a flappy bird when I'm only a crawly amphibian?

Signed,
Suffering from blog envy in Illinois

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I think you've got a great one going here! Keep it up, because sometimes I feel like I'm shovelling back the tide with the positions I write about....

Hannah said...

Cheryl, I just checked - you're actually an Adorable Little Rodent. In any case, you're 4394 places ahead of me.

Magus71, you're welcome! I'll add you to my blogroll promptly.

Cheryl said...

Hey, you're right--I am an adorable little rodent. So I wonder why my sidebar, which is supposed to update automatically, still says I'm a crawly amphibian?