Monday, May 26, 2008

Apt

This was brought to the front of my mind during dinner discussion today.

About a month ago, I traveled with my family downstate to accompany my younger brother and finish as an assistant coach for our math team, the state competition for which was held at a major university. During some of the downtime we had, I met up with an old friend and decided to check out a molecular biology etc. exhibit. In the same building of that exhibit were many fossils, all bearing plaques describing their supposed evolutionary relationships and the millions-of-years business necessarily accompanying that text. I'm not sure if it was accidental, but the poster on the entry doors gave a message so ironic that we laughed throughout the exhibit for which we had actually come.

The message? "Believe the impossible."

5 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Absolutely precious.

Anonymous said...

Check the sign for signs of alteration.

There may have a time hundreds of millions of years ago when the sign read, "Believe the Possible".

Unknown said...

I can believe the message, there are things I would never have thought possible until this despicable government took over in my country and now you can quite safely say, believe the impossible.

Hannah said...

LOL, EC.

You're being tongue-in-cheek, I presume, Steve?

Very true, English Rose. As a matter of fact, I was just reading your blog - the least I can say is that I'm very thankful not to be in your situation.

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Evolution happens where you'd least expect it...amongst those that have no further to go.

- Steve