- Tyre. Predictions are in Ezekiel 26:3-4, 7-8, 12, 14, 21. Fulfillment: Nebuchadnezzar broke its gates; Alexander the Great destroyed the city; Antigonus besieged it for 15 months; Muslims captured it; today, fishermen indeed "spread their nets there."
- Sidon. Predictions are in Ezekiel 28:22-23. Fulfillment: not destroyed; frequent wars ("blood in the streets" and a "sword on every side").
- Samaria. Predictions are in Hosea 13:16 and Micah 1:6. Fulfillment: it fell violently, was destroyed, and had vineyards planted in it.
- Gaza-Ashkelon. Predictions are in Amos 1:8, Jeremiah 47:5, and Zephaniah 2:4-7. Fulfillment: the twin cities were destroyed; the Philistines were driven out; shepherds came in, as did Judah's remnant.
- Moab-Ammon. Predictions are in Ezekiel 25:3-4 and Jeremiah 48:47, 49:6. Fulfillment: the cities were taken by eastern peoples for palaces; exiles returned.
- Petra and Edom. Predictions are in Isaiah 34:6-15, Jeremiah 49:17-18, Ezekiel 25:13-14, and Ezekiel 35:5-7. Fulfillment: the cities were emptied of people, conquered by Israel and heathen, and had a bloody history.
- Thebes and Memphis. Predictions are in Ezekiel 30:13-15. Their former names were No and Noph. Fulfillment: idols were destroyed, Thebes was burned, and there were no more native Egyptian rulers in either city.
- Nineveh. Predictions are in Nahum 1:8, 1:10, 2:6, 3:10, 3:13, and 3:19. Fulfillment: the city was drunken, flooded, burned, and became desolate.
- Babylon. Predictions are in Isaiah 13:19-22, 14:23, and Jeremiah 51:26, 43. Fulfillment: covered by swamps and desert creatures, desolate, like Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Chorazin, Bethsaida and Capernaum. Predictions are in Matthew 11:20-24. Fulfillment: destroyed throughout the course of history (Jesus didn't specify the means).
- Jerusalem enlarged. Predictions are in Jeremiah 31:38-40. Fulfillment: precise rebuilding through even today!
- Palestine. Predictions are in Leviticus 26:31-33 and Ezekiel 36:33-35. Fulfillment: Jews were dispersed, allowed to return, persecuted - and yet they thrived.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Evidence that Demands a Verdict: Chapter 11, part 2
Below are some specific Biblical prophecies fulfilled hundreds of years later, on average.