Friday, October 20, 2023

Seasonal Affective . . . Music?

Although I love many things about fall, one thing I don't like so much about it is the seasonal affective symptoms . . . depressed mood, slow thinking, slow movement, and sedentary behavior. What do I do to prevent and manage these without medication?



Outside/Daytime

Child and I are well on our way to 600+ hours outside this year. Besides walking (the more the merrier) and playground time, I bring a book along that I can read with one hand without a glove. That won't work once temperatures drop below around 35 degrees, but so far that strategy has allowed me to get a good amount of intellectual stimulation in along with my endogenously produced vitamin D. (Once I can't guarantee the 10-20 minutes/day of sunlight on my face and arms, I'll supplement through dietary means.)

Walking, in general, is my best tip for outdoors, since Husband prefers the treadmill indoors. For adults, the most benefits tend to be seen starting around 4,000-6,000 steps per day; toddlers take around 17,000 steps per day. I can sustain 5,000-10,000 steps per day between restless legs (if <5k) or trochanteric bursitis (if >10k).

Inside

Reading


I would be remiss if I omitted reading from my SAD strategy. Usually, I can gauge my energy levels by the amount of time it takes me to get through a relatively dense book that is not for work. Material that is somewhat challenging, yet related to one of my interests, helps to remind me that life is indeed worth plowing through. See the image above for my birthday book haul that I'll probably get through 2 falls from now!

Homemaking


Another major way in which I combat negative mood symptoms is by cleaning, and specifically, decluttering. Last year, I discovered The Minimal Mom's channel and have gravitated toward implementing Dawn's strategies more than the seasonal decorating tips one sees in other channels I watch or listen to. Getting rid of clutter and making things look physically neater and more functional gives me an instant boost of dopamine.

Nighttime

Nights are the most difficult part of seasonal affective disorder for me, since my pineal gland decided that sleep maintenance insomnia was the best solution to raising Child while working full time (50% outside the home). My most sleep-deprived times tend to be early in each semester, and nights before days when I need prolonged alertness.

Over years of crafting a bedtime routine that works reasonably well for me, here's what I've found:

  • I'm very thankful that my body so rarely needs caffeine (1 weak cup of green tea ~2-3x/year)
  • The 3-2-1 routine, even if it doesn't result in enough sleep, does seem to help with the daytime energy: stop working 3 hours before bed, stop fluid intake 2 hours before bed, stop screen time 1 hour before bed.
  • Morning and afternoon sunlight, at consistent times if possible, helps me wake up if I'm sleepy due to lack of sleep. I haven't seen a strong correlation with sleep quantity the night after.
  • Getting all of my to-do list, plus a bit of the next day's, done for the day, even if it takes my work hours later than I'd like, does help the hardest aspect of sleep maintenance insomnia--anxious thoughts in the 1-3am window.
  • White noise differs between Husband and myself--he prefers baroque instrumental music and Latin chants, while I tend to prefer rain noise, although his cue is starting to work for me after my 4-hour stint of sleep.

An Aside on Music

Husband and I have had many conversations lately about music, mainly because we've become involved in leading music during church services, and secondarily because his sleep cue music is so different from mine. In a theological context, we generally find older music more edifying because the musical quality tends to please our ears more (and be more singable for men) and the theology-in-poetry tends to be less problematic.

What do I mean by "old"? 

  • Pre-Enlightenment (1688-1789) versus post-Enlightenment hymns are marked by theological shifts, including non-Platonist to Platonist/Epicurean
  • N. T. Wright recommends choosing complete hymns that tell the biblical story, not necessarily one very narrow aspect of it. Husband referenced a video wherein Wright stated that his preference would be for each Eucharistic service to have at most one hymn or song from any one 15-year period.

What do I mean by "singable"?

  • Straightforward, sturdy tune
  • Composed to be sung by a group of relatively untrained laypersons, not performed by a single person. The intent is important!
  • Musical range is narrow enough and low enough for both men and women. Most people can comfortably sing in a 2-octave range at the most--men tend to be baritones (G 2 octaves below middle C through E above middle C), and women tend to be mezzo-sopranos (A below middle C through F 2 octaves above middle C).

Why is this important? Short answer: hymns teach theology, other opinions to the contrary. I'm looking very much forward to getting a book soon, written by a friend and past teacher, that dives into the soul-shepherding aspect of church music.

The bottom line for me is that music is a balm for my soul and Husband's soul, on the days and in the seasons when we're the most gloomy. 


What are your best tips for managing seasonal depression?

No comments: