Friday, August 4, 2023

Brains are Bigger and Better Outdoors: Late-Summer Reflections

Something I learned about shortly before Child was born was the website 1000 Hours Outside (which has an interesting weekly podcast as well). Having been raised with plentiful outdoor time myself, I latched on to this idea as something I'd like to continue to the next generation. While I'm well aware that Ginny Yurich of the website has done extensive work interviewing experts in related fields and reading books--including the podcast with Victoria Dunckley that I'll reflect on below--I wanted to take my typical slant on the topic by incorporating more exclusively related scholarly literature.



How has My Outdoor Time Been?

This calendar year, I've tried to be consistent in getting outdoors every single day. With the exception of 2 or 3 days during particularly dangerous winter weather conditions, I have met that goal so far. I knew I wouldn't be able to get to 1000 hours because of my job and Child's need for constant supervision at this age, so I set a target of 500 hours by the end of the year. As of July 28, we hit 300 hours so are on track to meet this goal!

Consistency has been challenging at times for me, but I feel healthier than I did at this point last year. My goal since being pregnant with Child has been to walk every day, though sometimes that has been only indoors. Now that we've established a walking habit, Child asks to go outside frequently when awake, and clocks probably 10,000-15,000 steps per day (indoors and outdoors). Both our muscles are strong, and we've gotten better at not showing interest in screens or battery-powered items for the most part.

Ginny's Recent Podcast with Dr. Dunckley

I enjoyed listening to the podcast (#173 on the 1000 Hours Outside website). Dr. Dunckley is an integrative psychiatrist; her bibliography include Reset Your Child's Brain and four books or book chapters (check out here). In her clinical work, she focuses on children with cognitive or attention disorders as well as those who have been abused or neglected. The gist of the referenced book is that eliminating screen time for up to 4 weeks can significantly reduce symptoms of tics and hyperarousal (e.g., the hyperactivity and attention difficulties common in ADHD).

A screen-time reduction and outdoor-time increase typically go together, but in this section I'm focusing mainly on what she said about screen time. Any kind of screen time ("active" or interactive, or passive such as watching a movie) can be deleterious, although she noted that active screen time is a more potent stimulant than passive screen time, so it depletes a child's mental energy more quickly. As a result, with too much screen time, a child will report non-screen activities as boring (because they don't give nearly as much of a dopamine boost) and display impaired executive function and concentration in non-screen-related tasks.

Another aspect of screen time is its effect on other physiological processes like circadian rhythm (body clock) and vision. Dr. Dunckley found that one's body clock is altered by screen time throughout the day, not just in early/late evening. When one is reading a physical printed page, the eyes must repeatedly switch between near and far distances (accommodation), and the mind understands the text better than if a screen is used. The less screen reading one does, the less macular degeneration typically occurs. Finally, screen-based light at night is linked to depression and suicidality in children.

Based on these things, there are several recommendations for children and screens:

  • Avoid interactive screen devices until at least age 12
  • Focus on reading and math over technology fluency (the former unlock more opportunities throughout life)
  • Replace screen time with unstructured or self-structured play and practice of social skills, because real life is harder to deal with than screens
  • When possible, go for internal motivation and real-life rewards rather than rewarding a child or adolescent with screen time

What Else do we Find in the Literature?

Given my professional training, I wanted to corroborate what I could of the podcast's claims, since (mis)interpretation of studies can vary widely in even the specifically trained sectors of scientists. First, I recalled some Biblical texts related to studying (and presumably spending time in) the outdoor world. Psalm 8, Psalm 111:2, and Ecclesiastes 12:12 came to mind.

Then, I went to my go-to database that has potentially the widest variety of scientific literature, PubMed (through the National Library of Medicine). If you'd like an overview of the domains of cognition--the different ways in which one can think and process information--check out this article. If you're planning on moving, check out this study linking the quantity and quality of urban green space to human health.

I didn't find many studies relating outdoor time to cognitive function, but things that can improve cognitive function (physical activity!) do relate to outdoor time. Based on 16 free full-text review articles from 2014-2023, here are some key findings:

  • Myopia (nearsightedness), a risk factor for macular degeneration and blindness is preventable by outdoor time. However, if someone is already myopic (like me...), outdoor time doesn't prevent its progression.
  • Physical fitness, particularly cardiorespiratory (aerobic), is generally improved with outdoor time, although it's more mentally and physically difficult to exercise intensely if it's quite hot.
  • Early childhood education settings like daycares and schools aren't required across the board to facilitate lots of outdoor physical activity in the children who attend, but those settings that do incorporate outdoor time see better physical and mental status in the children.
  • Things that decrease the likelihood of enough outdoor time for children and adults include safetyism, COVID restrictions (initially, at least), and focus on sun protection activities.

How Realistic is an Outdoor, Screen-Limited Life?

This question varies widely among those who publicly prioritize outdoor time and/or limiting screens. Some families have chosen to stay with non-smart phones and start home-based businesses so that they can prioritize both simultaneously. Given my training and anticipated job(s) for the foreseeable future (academia with some in-person teaching), Child's need for supervision at this time, and availability of family, I think that 500 or so hours outside per year for us is realistic. I doubt Child will get to 1000 hours per year until I can truly supervise remotely from indoors.

However, screen time limitation for Child is definitely realistic. Husband and I intend to homeschool, which I know from experience can be done in a screen-limited way. I would love to reduce my own screen time, but my minimum is 4-6 hours per day if I'm being efficient, at least during the school year. Husband's job requires 8-10 hours per day on screens, but we're doing what we can.

How about you? Are you where you would like to be?

No comments: