- Pray, and let God worry.
- There is not a word in the Bible which is extra cruem, which can be understood without reference to the cross.
- Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we prohibit and abolish women? The sun, moon, and stars have been worshipped [sic]. Shall we pluck them out of the sky?
- Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart.
- In the worst temptations nothing can help us but faith that God's Son has put on flesh, is bone, sits at the right hand of the Father, and prays for us. There is no mightier comfort.
- One ought to love one's neighbour [sic] with a love as chaste as that of a bridegroom for his bride. In this case all faults are concealed and covered over and only the virtues are seen.
Monday, February 22, 2010
HT Steve Martin at The Old Adam Lives! Some of my favorites (quotes attributed to Luther):