Christianity is a religion full of paradoxes:
- Jesus Christ is wholly God and wholly Man.
- We are both saints and sinners, at least in this world.
- In the Lord's Supper, body and blood are present under bread and wine.
- Christ Jesus is present both in heaven and on earth.
- The Triune God is not three gods, but three Persons in one God.How then do we deal with Baptism? How does the concept of "now or later" fit?
- Age at Baptism - as a baby (because of Christ's orders and promises) or as an adult?
- Baptism before or after a profession of faith? Or together, because Baptism bestows faith.
- Benefit of forgiveness of sins (always, not only at the time of baptism). Remember: you are - not were - baptized; it always works in your life!
- Is Baptism symbolic only, or actually powerful? The sign of Noah indicates that water actually saved; Peter tells us that water symbolizes baptism - which NOW SAVES you.What a gift is Baptism! It is all the Lord's work, salvation, without credit to yourself. Baptism = now and later!
Soli Deo gloria.