Seven points about the Christmas story...
- DECREE. Jesus is born under the law, even Caesar's. He fulfills all prophecy about Himself.
- JOURNEY. Christ is born into David's lineage, in David's city, Bethlehem, for both His earthly parents were descended from this king.
- BIRTH. Jesus is born into utter humility - a stable.
- SHEPHERDS. Christ is born for all vocations, even the lowliest. Angels, fear-inspiring, were sent first to these men in their fields! Appropriately, He is the Good Shepherd, the most holy and glorious God, of which glory we all fall short.
- PEACE. Jesus is born as the good news to all men, so the angels told the shepherds not to fear.
- SIGN. Christ is born as God's humble sign, a fulfillment of prophecy, a swaddled, manger-lying baby.
- GLORY. Jesus is born to bring peace to His children. The angels therefore sang that glory is ascribed to God in the highest, and peace given to those with whom He is pleased.. God loves you and is pleased with you for Jesus' sake, not for whatever good you've done. Responsively, worship Him every day, every hour, your whole life. Rejoice in His forgiveness of your sin! God is love.
Soli Deo gloria.