- are "very good" (Genesis 1:31), particularly during Creation week!
- are frightening and possibly ugly (Ezekiel 10 describes cherubim as a conglomeration of wheels, eyes, and wings - how's that for a Valentine's Day card?)
- are under God's control (Jude 6) and have hell reserved for them (Matthew 25:41)
- are prideful (Lucifer wanted to be like God - Isaiah 14:12-14 esp. KJV and Ezekiel 28:12-17); Lucifer disguises himself as a light bearer (2 Corinthians 11:14)
- rule earth with Satan until Christ returns (Revelation 12:4-10)
- serve God's purposes by punishing the wicked (2 Thessalonians 2:11-12) and testing His children (Job; 2 Corinthians 12:7)
- will be punished forever in hell (2 Peter 2:4, Revelation 14:10-11)
Evil angels' work...
- is to oppose God's will (Zechariah 3:1, John 8:44, Revelation 9:11)
- is to try to harm / slander God's people (Genesis 3:1ff, 1 Peter 5:8, Revelation 12:10)
- is well-organized and powerful (Ephesians 6:10-12 lists ranks)
- is to possess people spiritually (2 Corinthians 4:4, John 8:43-48) and bodily (Luke 8:26-39). Side note: One author has made a flowchart of possession from regression (lacking growth) --> repression (excusing sin) --> suppression (searing conscience) --> depression (avoiding God - critical point) --> oppression (Satan attacks) --> obsession (seeking Satan) --> possession (controlled by Satan).
- is especially to destroy the Christian church by preventing hearing of the Gospel (Luke 8:12) and spreading false doctrine (1 Timothy 4:1-5)
Christians cannot be possessed...
- Luke 10:19 - Satan shall not hurt the 72 (though note the specificity)
- Romans 8:35-39 nothing shall separate us from Christ's conquering love!
- 1 Corinthians 3:17 - we are the temple of God, which He has promised to protect
- 1 John 4:4 - Christ, in us, has overcome Satan who is in the world!
- Luke 11:24-26 (caution) - fill the house with Christ once Satan has been cast out