Christ's first sign was the transformation of water to wine at Cana. We see five gifts here:
- God's gift of life: Satan desires death, contrary to the Holy Spirit.
- God's gift of wine: Satan desires drunkenness; abuse is not the proper use (enjoy it!).
- God's gift of marriage: Satan desires two-ness and immorality. Redefinition is sin. Luther tells us to pray confidently for a pious spouse. However, don't parade your obedience to the Word as Pharisees do; just obey. God will provide strength for you, whatever your situation. He rejoices over you!
- God's gift of creative power: He created man to till, grapes to become wine. Christ made instantly what normally takes years. How? He is God Himself. What we perceive is only part of what He does.
- God's gift of the Giver: this was Jesus' first miracle! He was fulfilling God's will - not ours. Submit therefore to God's will; don't impose yours on Him. He came to wed His bride, the Church. His Father forsook Him at the Crucifixion, as He cleaved to us at the Cross (Genesis 2:24). Wine became His blood while yet wine. On the third day He was glorified; the tomb was emptied! He has saved THE best for last: heaven to us, rejoiced over and loved by God! Receive this re-creating, purifying Giver.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
We worshiped this week at a church using the TLH! Having grown up on LW, this was still a relatively new experience for me. The readings were Isaiah 62:1-5, 1 Corinthians 12:1-11, and John 2:1-11 (sermon text). My notes are somewhat disjointed, but bear with me.