Item two: Not to be malicious, but Weird Al's song "Weasel Stomping Day" (video) popped into my head this morning. Figuratively, at least, it could come true.
Item three: Cheryl is confident of an outcome. Australian bloggers Aurora and MK are supporting this outcome by prayer. Which leads to...
Item four: Today's Days of Praise (ICR, authored by Henry M. Morris III) is a helpful reminder of what really matters today.
- Submit to the laws they enact (1 Peter 2:13).
- Pay the taxes they require (Romans 13:6).
- Honor their authority (1 Peter 2:17).
- Pray for them by name (1 Timothy 2:1-3).
- Fear them if we do evil (Romans 13:4).
Then, there is the anticipated behavior of what we should expect them to do. They should:
- Be a terror to evil works (Romans 13:3).
- Exercise the "sword" of judgment against those who do evil (Romans 13:4).
- Promote a "quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty" (1 Timothy 2:2).
- Punish evil and praise good (1 Peter 2:14).
Finally, all who ultimately are placed in authority over men are there by God's appointment (our text). Sometimes the most unassuming are raised up (1 Samuel 2:8) or the evil leader is used to demonstrate God's power (Romans 9:17). We must seek God's will in our choices, but we can be assured that He is in charge (Psalm 11:4).