- It can survive, thanks to its protective spore, in a chlorinated pool for over a week.
- It cannot survive UV light (which, predictably, is expensive - about $250K).
- Flu-like symptoms last about two weeks; the parasite is transmitted through feces.
- A famous outbreak in Wisconsin in 1993 killed 100 and sickened 400,000.
- After one recovers, that individual can still pass the organism for two weeks.
- Waterproof pants and swim diapers do not keep diarrhea from entering the water.
- Shower before swimming! It's not "a public bath tub."
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Cryptosporidium: Necessary facts
Today's WSJ has a nice, microbiologically accurate article about Cryptosporidium, a parasite dwelling in pools, causing diarrhea, and looking very svelte under the microscope. Facts: