Thursday, May 1, 2008

Genetic testing, part 2

Part 1 here. Two great articles today, one from my gray-headed friend (G.H.F.) and the other from the WSJ's venerable pages. Summaries of each:

G.H.F.'s contribution: it appears that, as long as this act is around, the question of employers/insurance companies can't use one's genetic information against a person. There goes a whole ethical debate.

WSJ's contribution: Better genetic tests are those that test for individual genes or pairs thereof, combined with a high percentage of genetic cause (i.e. a gene that contributes something like 75% to a disease, while environmental factors would contribute the other 25% or so). Insurers will rarely pay for "unproven" tests. The article has a link list to sites explaining more about genetic testing:

No comments: